What it takes to stage The Great Yorkshire Show
8th June 2017
Held on 11 - 13 July 2017. England's Premier agricultural event celebrating farming & country life, held at the Showground in Harrogate, N Yorks
Please note: the views expressed in this article are that of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of SellMyLivestock.
The Great Yorkshire Show is England’s Premier Agricultural Event with competitors travelling the length and breadth of the country to compete for a coveted place in the final judging line-up. But putting on the three day extravaganza takes a year of meticulous planning, with thoughts turning to next year’s show as the gates close behind the final competitor.
Taking place on July 11-13 2017, preparations are now entering their final stages, and to celebrate what promises to be a blockbuster show, here are some little known facts about what exactly goes into staging the North’s biggest agricultural show:
1. Organised by the Yorkshire Agricultural Society (YAS), The Great Yorkshire Show sits on a 250 acre site, bought in 1949.
2. More than 130,000 visitors regularly pass through the gates of the Harrogate showground to enjoy the event which costs £3.4million to stage.
3. Records show how much the show has grown with the first recorded attendance figures dating from 1842 when 6,044 people were counted in.
4. The current record for visitor numbers was set in 2006 with 135,111 visitors over the three days.
5. The main aspect of the show is the competition with sheep, cattle, pigs, goats and horses. There are approximately 8,500 animals competing for one of the 598 Championship awards and prizes, decided by 264 expert judges.
6. And while the livestock are kept happy with 125 tonnes of straw, CGC Event Caterers from Garforth, Leeds take on the challenge of feeding the show’s visitors and members. Their shopping list includes 300 litres of Yorkshire milk, 1,280 punnets of Yorkshire strawberries, 10,000 Taylor’s of Harrogate Yorkshire tea bags, 2,200 scones, 220kg of British bacon and 2,112 glasses of Pimm’s and lemonade.
7. Everything will be ready and in place before the first competitors, trade stand holders and visitors arrive for the 159th Great Yorkshire Show which will showcase every aspect of the countryside from forestry to fly fishing, food production to virtual pig tours.
One of the most prestigious arena’s in the country, the Great Yorkshire Show main arena will not only host top class competition including the Cock o’ the North show jumping and the parade of cattle, but will feature a display by the equine stars of TV shows Poldark and Victoria from Yorkshire stunt team, Atkinson Action Horses.
Tickets are on sale for this year’s Great Yorkshire Show at www.greatyorkshireshow.co.uk
This will be the 159th Great Yorkshire Show, held on Tuesday 11 – Thursday 13 July 2017 on the Great Yorkshire Showground, Harrogate, North Yorkshire.
Livestock for Sale
Check out all the latest livestock we have for sale.