Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution – RABI
The charity offers both long and short-term financial support as well practical advice to both current farmers, those who have previously worked in farming and their dependents. They also offer:
- Training grants to develop/learn new skills to enable people to support themselves.
- Residential care – RABI own and run two care homes where most residents come from farming backgrounds. Respite care is also available. RABI may also be able to help with costs.
Freephone helpline: 08082819490 or see RABI’s website here
Forage Aid support farmers whose livestock has been affected by extreme weather by providing feed/bedding/transport. All of which are pledged and donated by others within the farming community. See their website here
Forage Aid are also active across social media – @Forageaid
The Farming Community network – FCN
The FCN is a charity supporting the farming community throughout difficult times, this covers both farming and business issues as well as mental health, physical health and family problems. The Helpline runs 7am-11pm every day of the year, offering knowledgeable advice across a range of issues from depression to succession planning.
Helpline: 03000111999 or website here
The Addington fund provides emergency housing for farming families who have to to leave the industry through no fault of their own, equally in times of emergency/hardship the fund may also be able to help.
- Strategic rural housing scheme – Providing long-term emergency housing for families e.g tenant farmers who have become homeless.
- Affordable rural housing scheme – ‘Affordable’ rented housing option.
- Trustee’s discretionary fund – Emergency fund in cases of hardship where short term aid may make a difference.
- George Stephens Charity – Provide a single small grant to help to farm workers or their families e.g to purchase furnishings.
See their website here
Upper Teesdale Agricultural Support services (Local support group)
UTASS can provide, along with a huge list of other support/help/advice within the local community:
- Practical support – paperwork help, advice in regards to BPS/BCMS etc
- Various training courses based on locally identified needs
- Advocacy and liaison work with landlords/DEFRA/trading standards etc
Helpline: 01833 641010 9-5pm not Wednesdays
24/7 (all year round) urgent/emergency number: 07919997619
YANA – Norfolk and Suffolk: Help for those in farming who may be affected by stress and depression (Local support group)
YANA may be able to give you advice and a plan of action for yourself or for someone you are concerned about. Additionally YANA may be able to help fund up to 6 sessions with a professionally qualified counsellor.
Confidential helpline: 0300 323 0400 or website here
Lincolnshire rural support network -LRSN (Local support group)
LRSN provides pastoral and practical support to farming and rural communities. They provide:
- One to one visits
- Drop in advice points – Louth, Newark and Spalding auction marts
- Health screening – Louth and Newark livestock marts
Helpline: 8am-6pm all year round 08001381710 or website here
Nottinghamshire rural support- NRS (Local support group)
The NRS helpline provides confidential support and advice. Additionally, NRS can provide help with:
- Animal health/welfare issues
- Compliance with paperwork/legislation
- Business issues
- Family problems
- State benefit entitlements
- Health screening – ran in conjunction with Lincolnshire rural support network.
As always, if you are seeking urgent help and advice you can contact the Samaritans 24/7 on any day of the year on: 116 123